YouTube among many other popular platforms is downright collecting your data. Even if you’re watching a cooking YouTube video or a workout video, you will be surprised to know how much data YouTube collects. To maintain online privacy and take back internet freedom, maybe these YouTube alternatives are what you need.
The best YouTube alternatives are currently:
- Alternative to YouTube but not similar – Netflix and TED
People want YouTube Alternatives for a number of reasons
It’s no secret that there are numerous websites that are tracking information; YouTube is one of them. However, because there are more than one service that actively logs your data, why should you consider using a YouTube alternative? Here’s why:
- We know that YouTube is a part of the local Google Adsense Program, and we know that Google on its own collects data. Since YouTube is a part of it, the platform collects user data through its ads. In turn, it means you’re allowing Google to collect more data. Compared to YouTube, the YouTube alternatives listed also offer ads, but don’t collect data to that extent.
- YouTube is saturated and has high competition. to gain a competitive edge, influencers around the world have started leveraging the potential of Instagram – an emerging platform for bite-size content. Talk about businesses that offer services and products, and have a strong social media following. These businesses leverage ‘ease’ and instead of bringing.
- YouTube is a free platform for uploading and watching content and a lot of popular copyright material isn’t available on the platform. Keeping this in view, binge-watchers had already made their way to premium services like Netflix to watch original series limited to the platform. Money Heist and Stranger Things are popular examples.
- Some users are experiencing troubleshooting issues accessing YouTube and have sought to look for other alternatives that will suit them better.
Best YouTube Alternatives
Over time, there are currently a large number of websites that are quite similar to YouTube. After going through a list of many, we’ve shortlisted only a couple YouTube alternatives that are worth looking into:
For those who don’t know, Dailymotion is still one of the leading social sharing and video hosting platforms that is similar to YouTube. It’s got a similar layout to YouTube, and allows high-quality streams. You’re allowed to upload content up to 4GB and allowed to be 20 minutes long.
Why choose Dailymotion as the number one alternative to YouTube?
- You’ll find high-quality content.
- The layout is user-friendly.
- The rules are lax with fewer risks of content removal.
- The platform is not as saturated as YouTube, which means you can generate a fan following more easily on Dailymotion than on YouTube.
As for content producers, Dailymotion is even better than Youtube because of its no-censorship policy. Furthermore, content producers can choose to restrict the viewership of their content in certain geographic areas of their choice. This would have been a limitation of the platform for content consumers who intend to research via the videos or keep traveling. However, with a VPN by their side, they can bypass geo-restrictions users, regardless of their actual location, and can stream videos whenever wherever they are.
If you’re in search of a site that is better than YouTube, then you’ve hit the jackpot with Vimeo. Vimeo is not only a YouTube alternative but is known as one of its biggest competitors. This platform incorporates some of the best content creators aimed at using professionals, especially those of the elite arts. The quality of content is incomparable to anything you may find on the internet. So it’s not just a YouTube alternative, but we see it as a potential rival as well in the coming years.
This is not the place to go ‘aww’ at cats and dogs videos since Vimeo has a pretty strict policy regarding quality. For content producers, there are different pricing plans: the basic plan is free where users can upload up to 500 MB of content every week, Plus members can upload 5GB per week and Pro members can upload unlimited content.
Why choose Vimeo?
- It has well-defined categories for easy search
- It is exceedingly easy to use and is an amazing source if you’re learning a new craft.
- Users can enjoy more focus on videos and fewer distracting elements.
All-in-all, it is the best alternative to YouTube in terms of viewing or hosting video content for revenue generation.
If you’re only looking for a YouTube alternative to watch some of the most popular music videos, then look no further than Vevo. You’ll have access to top-grade videos that combine content from two renowned labels called Sony Music Entertainment and Universal Music Group.
As one of the oldest video streaming sites, Metacafe specializes in short-form video content offering quick and lighthearted 90-second clips to its many subscribers. The interface offers a minimalistic design with neatly organized categorized sections that offer to about 40 million viewers.
Why choose Metacafe?
- You can personalize your channel.
- Excellent for watching 90-second videos.
- Has a lot of content for on-the-money product reviews and how-to guides.
For someone who enjoys humorous clips with crafty titles and thumbnails, this is the best YouTube alternative in 2021.
Utreon is another YouTube clone with a refreshed UI and functionality and is trending as a popular YouTube alternative. The best thing about Utreon is its privacy promise: it does not sell data to third parties, allows users to stream ‘anonymously’ which is absolutely impossible otherwise without a VPN. The platform does not require passwords and discourages data breaches.
Why choose Utreon?
- Offers video support of up to 4K.
- UI is analogous to that of Youtube.
- It has a strict commitment to user privacy.
Its compelling features such as properly categorized sections, user-friendliness, and the ability to monetize the videos on Utreon make it the preferred platform for many content creators and watchers.
Made specifically for the growing population of mobile users, IGTV is a platform that allows you to host clips without a hitch. It allows you to upload 60 minutes of clips, and it enables users to reach a larger audience. You can upload short videos on your profile or start your own content production channel. It supports short videos making quality a focus for many content creators. It is accessible for all Instagram users and can easily be signed in with Facebook also.
Why choose IGTV?
- Producers can choose to upload short or long videos. For promotions, they can go live individually or 2 profiles can choose to collaborate for the same purpose.
- Users can watch the content of their interest on smartphones.
- Searching for various channels is convenient and quick.
Remember that YouTube’s 70% of watch time originates from mobile devices. This trending platform is ideal for viewing vertical videos that have been modified with the mobile user in mind. Though with YouTube, users are not forced to log into the app, or use the web version – the videos can even play on your Whatsapp screen, unlike Instagram that requires users to sign up or sign in to their IG IDs to view content.
It’s hard to call Twitch a YouTube alternative per se, but it has everything gamers drool over, ranging from live streams from their favorite gaming icons to tournament replays. There’s also other content for people with more refined tastes, such as the arts, music, and TV series. You can just as easily monetize your lazy Sundays by playing Fortnite or watching your favorite gamer playing live.
Why choose Twitch?
- Users and content producers can build a gaming community.
- Users can stream videos dedicated to gaming.
This makes Twitch the most happening platform to watch live streaming and live chatting centered around the gaming world.
Based on the Blockchain fad that has everyone on the edge of their seat, DTube is a YouTube look-alike and an acceptable alternative. The homepage lists all hot, trending, and watched videos that you can browse through and also save for later watching, making DTube pretty much an ad-free clone of YouTube.
Why choose DTube?
- The platform is almost ad-free offering an uninterrupted viewing experience.
- DTube has no censorship and users and producers can use the platform to their heart’s content.
DTube uses Steem Blockchain to maintain records and uploading a video on this platform rewards you with crypto-currency. Users who engage with the videos in different ways can increase their chances of earning.
You will most likely find Veoh’s name in a lot of lists when searching for YouTube alternatives in 2021. This video streaming platform offers the easy discovery of videos and personalizes your viewing experience. Veoh is a viable option if you enjoy longer videos since it offers uploading content of unlimited length. You can find several TV series, movies, and even anime on this site.
Why choose Veoh?
- Suggested for longer videos and movies.
- Sleek UI with social features.
It is easy to navigate and has networking features such as creating groups, adding contacts, and direct messaging.
PeerTube is as good as YouTube with its open-source video sharing option. The software is decentralized, where everyone is able to host videos on their personalized channel. Compared to YouTube, the interface is neat and simple with no ads. It also contains a recently added and trending section that allows you to view viral content.
Why choose PeerTube?
- No sign-up is required.
- it is decentralized and open-sourced.
- It has a no censorship policy.
PeerTube bypasses the limitations of YouTube with no censorship or getting your account blocked. It’s very freeing and empowering for content creators who can showcase their creations without the risk of getting banned. It’s comparatively new and doesn’t have a variety of videos, but it’s getting up there as an appreciable competitor streaming service.
11. Alternative to YouTube but not similar – Netflix and TED
These two are also trending streaming platforms but both serve different audiences and have different working models. For the reasons outlined here, we haven’t added them to the list above:
- Netflix doesn’t match directly to YouTube because it has no free plans, only hosts copyright content, and highly promotes series that are originally made for this platform. Though it has certain documentaries that can be used for educational purposes and also hosts a separate profile for kids, the majority turn to Netflix for entertainment. The language and concept tags are mostly for adults aged more than 15; the platform has tons of mature content. Therefore, several countries have censored certain content based on national and cultural considerations, for example, series and movies available only through Netflix USA.
- TED stands for Technology, Education, and Design and so hosts independent guest speaker sessions on subjects that fall under these categories. It is a great platform for students, teachers, influencers, speakers, scientists, and common individuals who would like some inspiration to continue with their passion. Though most TED Talks do have some points of humor, the content is not geared towards entertainment but towards learning, research, and awareness.
Concerns Associated With Online Streaming
Streaming isn’t as simple, private, or secure as it should be. Some content producers do upload copyright content and users can stumble upon such content and participate in copyright infringement.
Also, when binge-watchers stream via Netflix or YouTube for hours, they consume considerably higher bandwidth than those who come online for simple browsing, which makes streamers subject to bandwidth discrimination or what we call ‘ISP throttling’.
Your ISP may choose to monitor your online streaming activities or slow down the speeds when you are on a specific streaming platform to control your streaming behavior. Major streaming platforms except for Uteron and TED micro-target and process data for advertisements, which means users can still face web tracking.
For people apprehensive about their online privacy and safety, digital experts suggest users install a reliable VPN app and browse through an anti-tracking platform. This way, you can put your major digital concerns at ease and avoid online hazards like web tracking, ISP monitoring, and speed throttling.
There isn’t a single site that can be a full replacement to YouTube, but as far as YouTube alternatives go, this list can fulfill the requirements if platforms are used in combination. However, if you’re looking for YouTube’s biggest competitors as its alternative, it would have to be Vimeo and Netflix. Go through the options, and you’ll be sure to find your favorite one since all of them are worthy of being YouTube replacements.
Start Browsing Privately!
iProVPN encrypts your data for protection against hackers and surveillance. Unblock your favorite streaming platforms instantly with the best VPN for streaming.