What is Kodi VPN and How it Delivers the Best Entertainment
Are you a movie fanatic? Or is your favorite thing to do binging series? Whether you want to stream movies, series, or podcasts – the question that most of us end up with is which software to choose. With the internet advancing, there are many options available, making it impossible to choose.
What is Kodi?
One of the most popular streaming software applications is Kodi. Kodi is an open-source and free media streaming application developed by XBMC/Kodi Foundation, allowing users to play media of all sorts through the application, such as movies, music, podcasts, and other digital media files from local and network storage and the internet.
What is meant by Kodi VPN?
A Kodi VPN’s general definition would be that it is a VPN for use with Kodi software. A VPN is an encryption tool that protects your identity and privacy online by ensuring that you are untraceable on the web and remain anonymous.
A virtual private network creates a private network connection through a public network connection, and it enables users to send and receive data through that public network. However, everything sent through the public network is moderated and transmitted through a VPN server, making the communication private.
How does a Kodi VPN Work?
A Kodi VPN routes internet traffic using encryption through a VPN server.
Using Kodi with VPN will encrypt your activity on the app and ensure that all information accessed on Kodi goes through the VPN’s server. With its impeccable uptime and guaranteed protection, iProVPN will keep you safe at all costs.
Why Do You Need a Kodi VPN?
Many channels available on Kodi are geo-restricted and are only accessible to those who have valid IP addresses. With the help of a VPN, you will be able to unblock and access geo-restricted sites or apps.
Kodi has both official and unofficial add-ons. Some of them could be geo-restricted; they could be either inaccessible or have a curated list of content.
Since Kodi allows the use and installation of multiple add-ons from third-party sources, you can never be too sure of who has access to your online activity or not. Third-party sources can usually be unreliable as they may be able to tap into your online traffic.
With the help of a VPN, you are also likely to stream on the Kodi device faster by preventing bandwidth throttling, which ISPs usually do to than you previously were as it shifts your connection from the public network to the VPN’s private server.
Can Kodi Work Without a VPN?
Kodi is a streaming platform, and a VPN is not necessary for it to function. So yes, you can use Kodi without a VPN. However, we strongly recommend that you use a Kodi VPN while streaming. Your online activities will be protected from the ISP, and geo-restricted content will be accessible.
How to Setup a VPN for Kodi
iProVPN makes it simple to get VPN protection on any device. Whether you have an Android or iOS device, or a Smart TV capable of running Kodi, here’s how to get a VPN for Kodi up and running.
- Get the iProVPN subscription
- Download and install the iProVPN app for your device. If your device is not supported, setup iProVPN on the router instead and connect your device to the router.
- Launch the iProVPN app.
- Enter your login credentials.
- Connect to any USA server.
- Once you are connected, open Kodi.
- Now you can easily open any geo-restricted service or add-on.
Is Streaming on Kodi Illegal?
Often people think that since Kodi is an open-sourced software streaming on the application could be illegal. However, that is not true. Kodi is completely legal, and you can stream all you’d like on it.
Although, as mentioned, the open-source bit of Kodi is where the problem begins, like every other torrenting gateway, Kodi could be used for some questionable reasons. As Kodi allows the download and installation of multiple add-ons, you are provided with both official and third-party add-ons.
Official add-ons are completely legal and safe to use. They are certified by Kodi itself, whereas third-party add-ons are where the uncertainty begins. Like many torrenting apps, Kodi can be used to stream lots of pirated content or copyrighted content without the copyright owner’s permission.
Moreover, not all third-party add-ons are illegal or dangerous, but most of them pose a threat to you. Some add-ons seem too good to true or are promising way too much. Those are the ones that you should specifically avoid. Similarly, if any add-ons require you to mess with your current Kodi device settings, you may want to rethink the installation.
Kodi itself is completely certified and legal to use – it is your choice of add-ons that need to be considered.
How Can Illegal Add-Ons Affect You?
Normally you’d think that using illegal add-ons may be morally incorrect. However, it may not have any other effect on you. Add-ons are not the problem; it is the content that you consume, whether copyrights protect it.
Third-party add-ons that also ask you for information are also very risky. Always use trusted third-party add-ons and never give away your personal information, including credit card information. Third-party add-ons are run by individuals or a group, and nobody can vouch for their legitimacy.
The infamous Exodus Redux add-on is illegal, and you are probably indulging in copyrighted activities by using that specific add-on. Exodus allows you to watch anything on the internet, which means you are usually illegally watching unlicensed movies.
iProVPN does not condone piracy in any way.
Kodi’s Top Add-On Authors
If you ever visit the Kodi website, they have listed their top authors for add-ons, so you can easily determine which add-ons are safe to install and reliable and which are not. Here a few authors that you should be okay with:
- Team Kodi (the official Kodi author)
These are only the first 10 add-ons. If you wish to see the full list of trusted add-ons authors, then you can visit Kodi’s official website and find the authors section once you click on ‘Add-ons.’
How to Set Up Kodi on Multiple Devices
Kodi is an application available on almost all devices regardless of software – the most attractive thing about it is its availability. To find out how to install Kodi on your device, keep reading!
Kodi on Windows
If you happen to own a Windows device, the setup process is relatively easy and less time-consuming. First, you need to have already downloaded a VPN; iPROVPN is the VPN you need to unblock all your desired channels and add-ons while also staying anonymous.
- Download iProVPN from here.
- Open iProVPN.
- Select a server and connect to the VPN.
- Then move onto your Microsoft Store.
- Search for Kodi in the search bar.
- Download and install the Kodi app for Windows.
Kodi on iOS (iPhone and iPad)
There is no doubt that Apple is leading with the top devices that have the most excellent features. However, if there is one thing we can agree on, configuring and downloading certain applications on iOS is a hassle.
If you wish to download Kodi without jailbreak, there are a few steps you will have to go through, which are as follows:
- Begin by downloading Xcode on your Mac.
- Connect your iOS device to your Mac.
- Select ‘Create a New Xcode Project’.
- Once there is a popup window, click on “Application” from the menu and tap the “Single View Application” option.
- After pressing Next, enter a name for the Kodi app
- Enter a different name in the “organization identifier field.”
- Choose the device for which you’re installing Kodi.
- Select a location for GitHub repository (iOS App Singer)- if Xcode asks to access contacts, please deny
- Once it displays no code signing identities found, click on the “Add” button and register with your Apple ID.
- Choose a development team.
- Select the app signer folder and open the saved file.
- When asked to the input file field, press Kodi deb file- the system will then do the work itself.
- Then enter whatever information is required.
- Click ‘start’ to begin the installation.
- The app signer will then save the file.
- After that’s completed, press Done.
- Open Xcode and press the window button to select a device of your choice.
- Click on the device and then click on the + sign at the bottom-right corner of the page.
- After you have selected, tap open and wait until Kodi is installed.
- You can now unplug your iOS device.
- Go to AppStore.
- Download the iProVPN app and subscribe.
- Click Connect.
- Then launch Kodi, enjoy streaming!
Kodi on Android
The process of downloading Kodi on Android is comparatively easier. To download Kodi on Android along with iProVPN, keep reading!
- Go to Play Store.
- Download iProVPN.
- Open the app, and subscribe.
- Then choose a server and click connect.
- Move on going to your Settings in the device.
- Open Security.
- Then select the Unknown Sources Option.
- Press enable, so this lets you configure the Kodi app on Android.
- Go to Play Store and search for the Kodi app.
- Download and install the Kodi app.
Kodi on Firestick
If you happen to own Amazon’s Firestick, you can now stream geo-restricted content without any hindrances through Kodi and a VPN. Here’s how:
- Open your Fire TV Stick home screen.
- Select Device and choose Developer Options.
- Enable all these options ADB debugging, Apps from Unknown Sources, and USB debugging.
- Search for Downloader in the search box.
- Install and launch the Downloader app.
- Press Allow and then OK.
- In the Downloader App, type the URL:
- For the 64-bit version- https://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/xbmc/releases/android/arm64-v8a/kodi-18.6-Leia-arm64-v8a.apk
- For the 32-bit version: https://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/xbmc/releases/android/arm/kodi-18.6-Leia-armeabi-v7a.apk
- Once downloaded, install it.
- As installation is done, Kodi will launch automatically.
- Go to the Downloader app and download iProVPN.
- Enter iProVPN URL
- Download and subscribe to iProVPN
- Launch the app and connect to the VPN.
Kodi on Smart TV
If your Smart TV runs on Android Software and not custom OS, your device is probably compatible with Kodi. To download Kodi, this is what you need to do:
- Open Google Play Store.
- Search for Kodi and install Kodi.
- Once installed, download iProVPN from the Play Store.
- Download and subscribe.
- Connect to the VPN.
- Launch Kodi and begin streaming!
VPN Manager for Kodi Through OpenVPN
If you wish to use a VPN on Kodi through an add-on, you will need to download a VPN Manager for the OpenVPN add-on. Here’s how:
- Go to GitHub and download Zomboided Repository.
- Open Kodi.
- Go to Add-ons.
- Click on the Add-on browser option.
- Choose to install from zip file.
- Go to the location where you downloaded the Zomboided Repository file.
- Then go to Zomboided Add-on Repository.
- Open services and select VPN Manager for OpenVPN.
- Install the add-on and wait for the enable notification.
- Open the add-on and go to settings.
- Under the VPN Configuration settings, select the VPN you want to add.
- Enter your credentials and server address of iProVPN that you can find here.
- Go to the VPN connection tab and tap First VPN Connection.
- Select your server.
- Click OK and enjoy VPN on Kodi.
Kodi on Now TV
Now TV is a famous media streaming device. You can easily download Kodi on your Now TV box. However, Now TV boxes that come with a built-in Google Play Store support Kodi; other versions do not.
- Open Now TV.
- Click on Google Play Store.
- Search for Kodi.
- Download and install Kodi.
- Similarly, download the iProVPN app from Play Store.
- Subscribe and connect to the VPN.
- Configure iProVPN on your Now TV box.
- Once connected, launch Kodi.
- Enjoy streaming!
Why You Should Choose iPROVPN Instead of a Free VPN
We always recommend that you use a paid VPN instead of a free VPN or proxy service. Being a premium VPN service, iProVPN provides you with guaranteed security and privacy services and great speed, and the unblocking of almost all major streaming platforms.
Learn more about how paid VPN vs. free VPN affect your privacy and security in our blog.
How to Add Add-ons on Kodi
Like most open-source software, Kodi does not consist of a built-in library. It requires you to select channels according to your preference and download the respective add-ons accordingly. It is why you must know how to do so:
- Open Kodi.
- From the main menu, select Videos.
- Tap on Video Add-ons.
- It will open a window with several video add-ons.
- On the bottom left, click on the options button.
- Click Get More.
- It will open many channel options for you to download.
- Choose whatever channel you’d like to install.
- Click install, and the add-on will download by itself.
- Once done, press open, and enjoy streaming.
The Kodi add-on store consists of countless channels, including premium channels such as ESPN, Netflix, the BBC, Disney Channel, etc.
The Kodi house is a gateway to limitless media streaming; all sorts of channels and videos are available on it. Moreover, thanks to third-party apps, you can now get your hands on the latest content and regular updates.
Furthermore, you can even customize your Kodi experience by downloading and installing multiple Kodi skins that change your entire outlook and give your screen a new face.
Not only skins, but Kodi also offers you to download Kodi Builds, which is another feature. Normally, you have to install channels on Kodi manually. However, if you choose to download a particular Kodi Build, it comes preconfigured and loaded with add-ons. It is like a package that you can download to get instant access to popular channels without downloading each one manually!