How to Jailbreak Roku TV
This blog aims to provide you with a step-by-step tutorial on how to jailbreak Roku TV using easy and simple steps. Before going ahead on how to Jailbreak Roku, I will explain to you a brief introduction about what is Roku. Moreover, you will also learn what is Roku Jailbreak and how to do it. Firstly, let’s dig deeper to understand what Roku is all about?
What is Roku?
Roku is your home to entertainment; it’s a portable and one of the most popular streaming devices with tons of content streaming options.
With Roku TV, you don’t necessarily need a cable TV connection in fact; you can enjoy various live TV channels, sports, music, movies, and a lot more for free.
What is Jailbreaking?
We often hear the word jailbreaking, but only a few know its actual meaning. The term jailbroken refers to the process of eliminating limitations of a device often imposed by the manufacturer.
Here, eliminating limitations means that a user can install any software on a jailbroken device other than the software the device manufacturer has made available for it.
The main purpose of jailbreaking a device is to customize it the way you want, plus get the maximum out of your streaming device by installing third-party applications.
Users often jailbreak their Apple iOS devices, but you can also jailbreak other streaming devices with similar limitations.
Jailbreaking Roku TV will allow you to make it even useful. You can stream unlimited content after jailbreaking your Roku device. In fact, there are more ways to make the most out of your Roku device. Simply set up Roku on VPN and stream geo-locked content from anywhere easily.
Can I Jailbreak Roku TV?
The short answer is that you cannot jailbreak a Roku device using traditional methods. Roku devices generally don’t support sideloading of third-party applications.
However, you can try different methods to watch movies and TV on Roku.
Alternatives Methods to Jailbreak on Roku
Here are the methods to Jailbreak Roku TV or Roku devices:
- Screen Mirroring
- Screen Casting
- The Roku Mobile App
- Use a local network or USB.
Let’s look at each method to jailbreak Roku TV in detail.
Screen Mirroring Mode
With the help of screen mirroring mode, you can cast your mobile device with Roku TV. It means that you don’t necessarily have to jailbreak Roku; in fact, you can use your mobile apps on Roku TV without jailbreaking. You can also enjoy games and other media on TV.
The screen mirroring feature also allows you to enjoy Free movie APKs that you can install on your Android device and stream on Roku TV.
Follow these steps to enable screen mirroring mode on your Roku TV:
- Open the main menu of your Roku device and head to Settings >System
- Select where you see the Screen Mirroring option
- Select Screen Mirroring Mode and checkmark Prompt.
- Find the wireless sharing option on your mobile device.
- Select your Roku device name on your phone. Now you can enable screen mirroring on your Roku device.
Another method to jailbreak Roku is screencasting. However, the screencasting method can only be used with iOS and Android devices with specific applications only.
To cast your Roku TV, you will need a supported mobile device. You can only watch selected content on your TV screen with this method. Moreover, while using this process, you cannot watch or play other content on your TV.
Make sure to have the same apps on your mobile and Roku device. For example, if you’re screencasting Netflix, the app should be installed on your Roku device and mobile.
Here’s how to enable screencasting on your Roku TV:
In this example, I will show you to screencast YouTube from your mobile to Roku.
- Click the search bar on the Roku Home page
- Type YouTube in the search field
- Select YouTube from the available list of search results
- Pick Add Channel
- Open a YouTube video on your mobile device.
- Tap your screen and select the Cast option at the top right. Don’t open YouTube app on the TV; the app needs to be installed.
- Select your Roku device from the list of devices. The video will start casting on your selected device.
Any other activity on your mobile device will stop the video playback, and you have to set up casting again.
The Roku Mobile App
Roku has an application called Play on Roku mobile app. The app allows you to send content from your mobile to Roku. However, this method doesn’t support Kodi or Netflix.
Here’s how to connect the Play On Roku app:
- Install the Play On Roku mobile application on your iOS or Android device.
- Log in to the app using your Roku email and password.
- Connect your device and the Roku with the same Wi-Fi network.
- Now, open the Devices tab on the bottom right of the mobile app.
- You will see your Roku TV device in this list. Select it to start using your Roku via your mobile streaming device.
- Use your mobile app, and Go to the Media section of the connected device.
- Select the media you wish to play. Give the application your permission to access media.
Now you can cast your preferred media to the Roku device.
Use a Local Network or USB
Users who have a local home network can fetch media on Roku. In this method, you can use your mobile device connected with Roku streaming devices to play your device’s content on Roku using your home network. To use this method, you will need a Roku media player.
- Open the Roku Home page, click on the search bar.
- Write Roku media player in the search field.
- From the available search results, select Roku Media player.
- Select Add Channel to add the player on your device.
- Head back to the Roku home page, and open the Roku media player.
- Now, the network should appear on your Roku streaming device, if your local network is open to media.
- Select the media you want and stream it on Roku.
You can also use your USB device with media only if your Roku device has a USB slot. Connect your USB with Roku and play media on the USB using the Roku media player app.
Keep in mind that the Roku player cannot support all file types, but it is compatible with various types of media.
Also Read – How to Reset Roku Remote
Jailbreaking Roku TV will allow you to avoid the limitations of your Roku operating system. Although you cannot traditionally jailbreak Roku TV, following our steps will help you get more out of your Roku when it comes to streaming content.
Start Browsing Privately!
iProVPN encrypts your data for protection against hackers and surveillance. Unblock your favorite streaming platforms instantly with the best VPN for streaming.