How to Deactivate or Delete Your Snapchat Account
Snapchat is one of the globally admired and used social media apps. It has a substantial amount of active 363 million users daily. The popularity secret behind the excessive use of Snapchat is the pioneering feature that vanishes your chats, photos, and videos after 24 hours. Alternatively, chatting with other users wouldn’t save your messages or log your data in any form. Everything disappears after a while, and that’s what intrigued the privacy-lovers.
On the other hand, advertisers are making billion of US dollars by targeting their audience via Snapchat ads. However, the most splendid things also come with a setback. Whether it is a much-needed break from social media, you are concerned about your privacy, or tired of using all these funny and prepossessing filters that change your actual features on the screen, whatever reason you have, it is justified. Deactivating or deleting your Snapchat account doesn’t involve hassle until you know how to follow the precise steps to get it done accordingly.
Therefore, this guide will tell you what Snapchat does with your data and how you would handle it. So, without further ado, let’s dig deeper and find out how to permanently deactivate or delete your Snapchat account.
How to Deactivate your Snapchat Account – [Easy Steps]
Despite being an innovative social media app, Snapchat can make you anxious with security concerns and privacy issues. More importantly, when it uses its “Memories Feature” to represent you with images and videos you filmed a while ago.
Also, remember that once you’ve deactivated your Snapchat account, you cannot send or receive messages from anyone, nor can you use any of the Snapchat features. So, to start your Snapchat break, follow these guidelines to deactivate your Snapchat account.
- Log in to your Snapchat account using your credentials.
- Click on the Snapchat deactivation link to get started.
- Click on “Download my data.”
- Move your cursor to the bottom of the page and click on “Submit Request.”
- Enter the details: an email address, username, and password to confirm your deactivation request.
- Follow a two-factor authentication to continue with the procedure.
- You’ve successfully deactivated your account and cannot use it until you retrieve it.
How to Download Your Snapchat Data?
It’s better to download your stored data before deactivating your Snapchat account since you cannot access it for 30 days, then permanently if you will not get back to Snapchat anytime soon. It doesn’t involve any long sessions to download your Snapchat data.
Therefore, taking action and logging in to your Snapchat account is essential before you follow the deactivation procedure. Hence, when you enter your user credentials to log in, Snapchat sends you a “code” for two-factor authentication on your provided number. By entering the “code,” you can log in to your account and get started. Here’s how to download your Snapchat data without any difficulty:
- Open the “My Data Link.”
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click “Submit Request.”
- Mention your verified “Email Address” to access the Snapchat files that contains your data.
- Ensure you enter the “Same email address” used to create your Snapchat account.
- Check your email for a link from Snapchat. (This file carries your data)
- Download the file on your operating system or device that you are using to access Snapchat.
- You will receive a collection of data that is stored in your Snapchat account. It includes Bitmojie, pictures, videos, chat history, and user profiles.
- That’s all. Now you can move forward and deactivate or delete your Snapchat account.
How to Deactivate Your Snapchat Account on Windows
You can deactivate your Snapchat account on Windows by following these instructions:
- Open your web browser and click on “Snapchat login.”
- Go to the Account Settings and click “My Account and Security.”
- Below that, you’ll find “Account Security” > “Delete My Account” > and “Accounts Portal.”
- Log into your Snapchat again by entering your “Login details.”
- Provide your username and password and click on “Continue.”
- That’s all! Your Snapchat account is deactivated.
Once you’ve deactivated your Snapchat account, remember you will get 30 days to activate it again. Sometimes, it takes longer than 24 hours to start your Snapchat again, but that’s nothing that you would stress over. Therefore, use your account credentials to log in back to your Snapchat account within the provided period of 30 days.
How to Deactivate Your Snapchat Account on Android
Follow these instructions to deactivate your Snapchat account on Android.
- Open the Snapchat app on your Android.
- Head toward the left corner, where you will find your “Avatar icon.”
- Click on the “Gear icon” in the top-left corner.
- Scroll down to “Support” and click “I Need Help.”
- You’ll be routed to the support page of “Snapchat.” where you’ll find a search bar at the top of the page. Click on “Delete” and choose the first option that says, “Delete My Account.”
- Click on it to “Delete Your Account.”
- Move towards the “Account Portal Link” and click on it.
- You will be routed to the Snapchat deletion page. Enter your username and password to agree to continue the account deactivation.
- Once you follow this process, you deactivate your account and can activate it anytime within the provided 30-day recovery period. If you do not log in, you will permanently lose your account after a month.
How to Permanently Delete Your Snapchat Account?
You must stay continuing if you want to delete your Snapchat account permanently. Once you attempt your Snapchat account deactivation, it will take 30 days to delete your account permanently unless you log in to it within the allotted time.
Although, if you rush to delete your Snapchat account before the official time set of 30 days, Snapchat will not allow nor offer this feature. More importantly, implementing the deactivation request will provide you with 30 days to retrieve your data. If you don’t opt for downloading everything before, it will not allow you to do it after you end the granted time. That said, you will lose access to your virtual saved locations, account settings, friends list, stories, films, and anything you have held in your Snapchat account.
Snapchat stores your basic information, and it includes three types:
- The information that you provide when making an account. (Email address, contact number, name, and location)
- Information that Snapchat obtains from your device. (Logins, geo-location, time)
- Third-party information that includes (advertising Snapchat targets you with as per following your browsing search results, third-party links you open, and contact lists)
Snapchat can share this information with third parties, including government data-logging agencies if required by law, marketers that ask for it to target you accordingly for relatable ads, and data brokers. So, before you put your trust in relying on a social app that is not very privacy-friendly, learn the consequences.
You may also like: Is Bitmojie Safe?
Why Do You Need a VPN to Use Snapchat?
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is an advanced and worth-using privacy tool that enhances virtual privacy and security. Connecting to a VPN protect your internet activities from demolishing cyber vulnerabilities.
Once you are connected to a quality VPN such as iProVPN, which comes with secure IP addresses and reliable VPN servers, it replaces your IP address with an alternative IP that conceals your geographical location. You can create a new Snapchat account or log into your existing one. iProVPN operates secure privacy protocols that security professionals trust, including AES-256-bit encryption. With military-grade encryption, you won’t risk your data from getting attacked by third-party cybercriminals.
In addition to that, if you are located somewhere where Snapchat is geo-blocked. A VPN helps you unblock the most popular social media app with reliable VPN servers and the lightning-fast speeds of iProVPN. Besides, iProVPN doesn’t maintain any data logs. It protects you and secures virtual access to Snapchat and other social media apps. Additional premium VPN features include DNS Leak Protection, Kill-switch, Malware protection, and P2P Optimization.
You can get benefitted from a dedicated team of Support Representatives. iProVPN comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee that you can use to test the VPN features or claim a refund if you would not find them reliable.
FAQs – Deactivate or Delete Your Snapchat Account
Is deactivating Snapchat is same as deleting Snapchat?
No, deactivating the Snapchat account is not the same as deleting Snapchat. Once you enter your user credentials and proceed to deactivate your account, it will be deactivated for 30 days. In this period, you cannot contact your Snapchat friends, send streaks, or access your data, including photos, videos, and personal messages. If you don’t log in to your Snapchat account after 30 days, Snapchat will permanently delete your account.
What do your friends see when you deactivate Snapchat?
If you deactivate your account, it won’t send any alerts or notifications telling them you have deactivated it. It just disappears, and no one can contact you through Snapchat. Neither can you access messages, pictures, or videos from your Snapchat friends.
Can I temporarily deactivate my Snapchat account?
No, Snapchat does not allow users to deactivate Snapchat accounts temporarily. It grants you a time period of 30 days once you deactivate your account. If you want your Snapchat account back, you must access it within 30 days. Otherwise, it will be gone.
Does deleting my Snapchat account delete all of my chats?
Yes, deleting your Snapchat account deletes the content you have saved in your account. Conversely, it won’t delete the pictures, videos, and messages you have shared to other Snapchatters.
Can I immediately delete Snapchat?
Unfortunately, there isn’t any way to delete your Snapchat account immediately. Once you go for the account deletion steps, your 30-day time period starts to delete your Snapchat account.
How do I temporarily freeze Snapchat?
Unlike Instagram and Facebook, Snapchat doesn’t have the "freezing" feature or “temporarily deactivating your account.” It deactivates your account for 30 days and deletes it if you don’t log in and reactivate it back.
Can I reactivate my Snapchat account after 30 days?
No, you cannot get your account back after 30 days of deactivation. All of your data, including calls, messages, pictures, videos, and locations, would vanish. However, the great thing is you can always make a new Snapchat account to enjoy Snapchat features.
How long does it take to reactivate Snapchat?
It takes 24 hours to reactivate a Snapchat account. On the contrary, if your Snapchat account is loaded with heavy data files, including conversations, photos, videos, friends, and memories, it will take over 24 hours to reactivate.
How do I permanently delete my Snapchat?
Following these quick and easy guidelines, you can permanently delete your Snapchat account. Login to your Snapchat account by using a web browser. Head to “I Need Help” and click “Delete.” Click on “Log in to delete your account.” Once opened, enter your username and password and click “Continue.” Remember that these steps deactivate your account for 30 days until you log in again or lose it permanently by not accessing it within 30 days.
How do I know if my friend deactivated a Snapchat account?
You can go to the Snapchat search and type the user name of your friend's account. If Snapchat wouldn’t show you the profile you are searching for, then it is evident that your friend has deactivated or deleted their Snapchat account.
Does deactivating Snap delete friends?
You would not lose any friends by deactivating your Snapchat account. Only your account looks grayed out to them. Once you reactivate your account, they can search your profile like before.
Final Words – Deactivate or Delete Your Snapchat Account
Social media apps always maintain data logs. If you are concerned about digital privacy and security and are deactivating or deleting your Snapchat account, you can use a premium VPN service such as iProVPN. Connect to one of the optimized VPN servers and use the internet securely with an alternative IP address. It keeps the cyber snoopers at bay. Alternatively, this guide will help if you ever get tired of using Snapchat and want to deactivate or delete your Snapchat account permanently.
Start Browsing Privately!
iProVPN encrypts your data for protection against hackers and surveillance. Unblock your favorite streaming platforms instantly with the best VPN for streaming.