How to Run a Google Chrome Virus Scan
It’s no secret that Google Chrome is one of the most widely used browsers in the world for Windows, Android and even Mac and iOS devices. It’s feature-rich and super user-friendly to use, but it doesn’t come without its own set of security and privacy concerns. This guide will show you how to perform a Chrome Virus Scan to tackle any malware or security issues that you might face.
Because Google Chrome is the most widely used browser for Windows, we’ll be tackling that issue first, showing you how to run a Chrome Virus Scan and remove malware.
How to run a Google Chrome virus scan on Windows
As mentioned above, Google Chrome often comes with malware or bugs that are harmful. However, the good news is that Google Chrome comes with an inbuilt virus scanner called “Cleanup.” You can either go to the link “chrome://settings/cleanup” or follow the tutorial below:
- Open the Google Chrome browser on Windows
- Click on the three dots on the top-right corner and click on “Settings.”
- Scroll and click on “Advanced.”
- Now, either scroll and click on “Clean up computer.” Alternatively, you can find the option of “Reset and clean up” on the left-side menu and then click on “Clean up computer.”
- Untick the box that says “Report details.”
- Click on “Find.”
- Now, wait a bit for Google to report any malicious threats found on the browser or on any software that you have installed.
- When we scanned for malware, here are the results:
- However, if your device is detected for any issues, you will be prompted to click on “Remove” to eliminate any malware found.
- Restart your device.
- That’s all!
If, however, you think that safe files may have been removed during the scan, refer to the guide below to restore it.
How to restore safe files removed by Google Chrome
- On your PC, launch the folder %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome Cleanup Tool\Quarantine.
- Now, if you see the folder “Quarantine” open it.
- Click on “Continue.”
- To restore any file that you need, right-click it and then click on “Extract all.”
- Enter the password “chrome_cleanup to restore all the files.
What issues have users faced while using Google Chrome?
While we’re on the discussion about how to run a Google Chrome virus scan to remove browser malware, let’s address some issues that users have faced using it:
- One thing we’ve all noticed is that no matter how many times we set Google Chrome as the default search engine, it keeps switching it to another without our permissions.
- Redirected to malicious websites without you initiating it.
- Old or discarded Chrome extensions that you get rid of keep showing up again.
- Settings keep changing.
- Keep seeing pop-up ads with viruses while using Google Chrome.
These issues are clear signs that your browser and system is infected with browser malware. With that said, the tutorial above will show you how to get rid of the Chrome virus on your Windows.
How to remove browser malware from Android
This method is quite different from the other tutorials here. There are times when you may have seen pop up viruses on your Android. It’s usually a results of installing third-party apps that you may have not known were harmful Here is how you can remove malware on Android phone or tablet:
- Press and hold down the power button.
- Now on your screen, hold down the power icon. This will restart your device in “Safe Mode.”
- It will give you access to only system apps.
- Now, one by one start removing the list of apps. At the same time, take note of the apps that are safe and that you’d like to reinstall later on.
- After removing them, restart your device in its original mode.
- This should try and resolve any issues you’re facing with malicious apps.
- Until and unless you’ve gotten rid of them, keep going through the procedure again.
This is just one way to remove browser malware from your Android device. Other than this, you could also try downloading the best antivirus for your device to automatically try and get rid of malicious software on your system.
How to manually remove malicious programs on Mac
As mentioned above, there might be times when suspicious programs make their way to your device. When that happens, there is a way for you to manually remove malicious programs on Mac:
- On your Mac, open “Finder.”
- Click on “Applications” on the left-side.
- Search for any programs or software that you don’t remember adding.
- right -click on them.
- Click on “Move to Trash.”
- Once you’re done with moving out the unwanted items to trash, right-click on “Trash” at the bottom.
- Click on “Empty Trash.”
- That’s all!
Is there a way to remove bloatware on Chromebook?
You can remove malware or bloatware on your Chromebook by installing a software called Malwarebytes. It scans all the files on your device and removes any that are injurious to your device.
Do you need antivirus software on Chromebook?
Unlike Windows, Chromebook in comparison, does not quite get infected with viruses or malware in general. It might not be necessary to get an antivirus installed, but you can still get one for the safe side.
How to get rid of pop-up virus on Google Chrome for mobile?
Launch the Chrome app, click on the Settings menu on the top-right corner. Now, scroll and click on “Site settings” and then click on “Pop-ups and redirects.” When redirected, enable or toggle the option to block pop-ups. It should be blue when enabled.
That’s a wrap! You now know how to operate a Google Chrome virus scan on multiple devices. If, however, you’d like to add some extra protection to your device, you can always use a Chrome VPN extension or antivirus software.
Start Browsing Privately!
iProVPN encrypts your data for protection against hackers and surveillance. Unblock your favorite streaming platforms instantly with the best VPN for streaming.