How to Delete Yahoo Account
Don’t use Yahoo anymore? Need to know how to delete Yahoo account? We will be talking about all of it in this guide. You should get to it in no time!
Yahoo used to be extremely popular once upon a time, and has managed to be replaced by better, newer, and mainly stronger counterparts. However, that is not what this guide is about. There has been a blast or a surge in cybercrimes today, with the biggest revolving around data breaches. These breaches are set upon vulnerable media apps that hold large files or sensitive data. Yahoo is among the top 10 services that were targeted. This is the main reason for why you should consider deleting your Yahoo account.
Why do I delete Yahoo account?
Most users ask this question, and it is for good reason. There is a lot to consider when weighing out options related to deleting social and communication accounts. In fact, users even wonder if Gmail is secure. But, when it comes to a platform like Yahoo, you need to do some digging.
To give you a head start, here is a list of reasons you should go through regarding why you would need to delete a Yahoo account:
- There was over 1 billion Yahoo accounts breached between a short span of a year. It took place from 2013 to 2014. That means 1 in every 7 people around the world.
- Yahoo was bought by Verizon, a powerful ISP company that initiated the right to steal and sell user data like search histories and more to third parties. Plus, Yahoo does log user data to also post relevant ads, gathered from information stolen from your profile. There are many messaging or communication companies just like Yahoo, but let us hit one stone at a time.
- Back in 2017, there was another red flag issued by Yahoo as a warning of the data protection issue. The strike as relatively lower compared to 2013-2014, but it still took place regardless. There were around 32 million email addresses found within the damage, affected by forged browser cookies between 2015 and 2016.
These are only a short review of the damage caused by Yahoo data breaches. This is especially a matter of security threat for users who set the same passcodes for multiple Yahoo accounts and other social media platforms.
With the vulnerable state of Yahoo security, hackers can easily penetrate the system, get a hold of that information and use it on other accounts. So, if you are planning on taking over the security and protection of your data by deleting your Yahoo account, proceed to the tutorial below.
Read this before you delete your Yahoo account
Not sure if you know this, but Yahoo owns and is associated with quite a few other services. When or if you go ahead and delete Yahoo account, there is a lot you can lose. For starters, you will lose access to Yahoo Messenger, My Yahoo settings, Yahoo finance, Flickr account and photos, and much more! You’d even lose a lot of data that is already stored on your account. So, before you proceed to delete Yahoo account, make sure you save or download any information from your email before it is all lost.
How to delete a Yahoo account
- Sign in to your Yahoo account termination page using the same Yahoo ID that you need to delete.
- There will be some information regarding the account termination. Read it thoroughly and then click on “Continue.”
- Next, enter your Yahoo password. This step is to confirm the user. Click on “Yes, delete this account.”
- Lastly, click on “I understood.”
That’s it! You’ve now deleted your Yahoo account! Also, something important to note is that when you delete your Yahoo account, this will automatically unsubscribe you to any paid Yahoo services. It doesn’t matter if you’ve only just paid for it, all will be deleted along with your Yahoo account. So, make sure you weigh out all your options, and look into the details carefully before proceeding.
The good news is that the Yahoo deletion process takes around 40 days to process. This is the standard number of days for a US citizen. However, the number of days in other countries is quite different. It’s around 90 days in countries like Australia or New Zealand. Sometimes the deletion process can take up to 180 days in other countries.
If you do happen to change your mind, you can revert the account deactivation process by signing in to your Yahoo account within the given time period. For most users who are mainly concerned about privacy and security issues on Yahoo, you should consider using a secure and high-end VPN.
There is a downside to deleting a Yahoo account, and that is data logging. The fact that users get notified about information being kept or logged even after they deleted an account, says a lot. For this, you should go through the Yahoo support page for more details.
In a nutshell
Using Yahoo isn’t as safe as it used to be, and for that I’ve recommended using a VPN. However, not all users prefer security software nor live in countries where it is easily attainable. It is reasons like these that you consider the ulterior option. So, now that you know how to delete Yahoo account, make sure you first weigh out your options before going ahead with it.
Start Browsing Privately!
iProVPN encrypts your data for protection against hackers and surveillance. Unblock your favorite streaming platforms instantly with the best VPN for streaming.