How to Delete Safari Browser
Safari is a native Apple application and cannot be dragged and trashed to the bin. All Apple’s native applications are protected by the SIP (System Integrity Protection) feature.
Apple’s SIP feature is responsible for averting accidental removal of native applications, which otherwise affects the overall OS functionality.
Hence, deleting any native application like Safari is not possible. However, you can still disable Safari on your Mac, iPhone, and iPad devices using different methods.
In this blog, you will learn how to disable Safari on Mac or iOS devices to declutter your home screen and make space for other applications.
How to Delete Safari on iPhone/iPad/iOS
You can disable Safari from iOS settings to clean up your home screen and make room for other applications. Here’s how to delete Safari on iPhone/iPad/iOS:
- Head to iOS home screen > Settings.
- Tap on General.
- Tap Restrictions and enable it.
- Enter your four-digit passcode to access Restrictions.
- See under the Allow tab, and tap Safari and disable it.
Now, you will not see Safari on your Home screen.
How to Delete Safari on Mac
Above, you have read that Safari is a native that cannot be modified or removed without certain tweaks. Since Mac is protected with Apple’s SIP feature, deleting Safari on Mac is more complex than iPhone or iPad.
To delete your Mac Safari browser, you can either disable the SIP feature or install third-party apps like Mac Cleaners or CleanMyMac 3.
It’s worth noting that disabling your SIP feature from the terminal end will erase Safari, but it might compromise the OS functionality. Hence, messing with OS functionality is not suggested in any way. Therefore, try to avoid disabling the SIP feature, instead use the third-party applications for Safari removal.
You can still learn how to delete Safari using the terminal.
How to Uninstall Safari Using the Terminal
To execute the task, you will need administrative rights. Using a one-line command will uninstall the Safari browser from your MacBook. This process will not delete temporary files and settings.
Here’s how to remove Safari.app using the command line terminal:
- First, open Terminal by opening Applications folders.
- Go to Utilities and double-click Terminal to open it (You can alternatively press Command + Spacebar and enter the terminal in the search bar).
- Open Terminal application.
- Go to the Applications directory in the terminal.
- Type cd/applications/ and finish the command.
- Type sudo rm -rf Safari.app/ and enter.
- Insert your password when you’re asked for it, and the Safari browser will be Uninstalled soon.
Here, keep in mind that the latest macOS versions uses the new SIP feature, which won’t allow you to delete any of the System files; hence, using a third-party application is the only way to go.
How to Remove Safari on a Mac Using Third-Party Application
- Head to macpaw.com and install CleanMyMac 3 app.
- Go to the download folder and double click to install the .dmg file
- Drag CleanMyMac app into the applications folder.
- Launch the app by double-clicking on it in the Applications folder.
- When the app is launched, drag and drop the Safari icon into the app window.
- Select Safari on the app and click remove.
That’s it! Safari is now removed from your Mac.
How to Delete My Safari History
Frequently deleting your browser history and website data may fix certain browsing issues. Clearing your browser history is called browser hygiene, and it saves you from stored passwords and useless cookies that you have accumulated over time.
Cleaning your Safari history will help the browser to load faster. Not only that but, it also significantly reduces various security risks if your device is stolen or someone is tracking you.
Here’s how to clear Safari history on iPhone/iPad
- Open Settings menu.
- Select Safari.
- Tap Clear History and Website Data.
If you also want to remove cookies, then follow the steps below:
- Head to Settings.
- Select Safari> Advanced > Website Data.
- Tap “Remove All Website Data.”
Note: Clearing the above information will not delete AutoFill data. You have to delete that separately. Here’s how to delete your Safari AutoFill data:
- Go to Safari.
- Select Preferences.
- Select AutoFill.
- Select Edit next to Usernames and Passwords.
- Now, you can manually remove your passwords.
How to Secure your Safari Web Browser
Safari is an Apple-developed browser that’s already equipped with a bunch of great privacy features. But, there are some unseen threats that you cannot fight with your browser alone.
Third-parties like your ISP or hackers snoop on data and may track or spy on your online activities. The best way to combat such security breaches is using a trusted VPN.
iProVPN encrypts your traffic with powerful military-grade encryption that keeps your traffic secure and hidden from the prying eyes.
Not only that, with iProVPN, you can browse anonymously since its IP spoofing technology changes your virtual location and hides your real one. It gives you access to content from any part of the world regardless of geo-restrictions.
Coming to the end of how to delete Safari on Mac or iOS, the best way to remove the Safari browser is using third-party apps among all the mentioned methods. You can use whatever browser you want, but it has to be privacy-focused, and equipping your browser with iProVPN will keep you safe while browsing the internet.
Start Browsing Privately!
iProVPN encrypts your data for protection against hackers and surveillance. Unblock your favorite streaming platforms instantly with the best VPN for streaming.